Sony already unwittingly unveiled their device announcement by testing their Livestream out (oops), but today Sony officially launched the Xperia 5 which will be a boost to those who like a more pocketable device.
Well, they didn’t really want to do that, did they? Whilst testing their Livestream ready for today’s launch, Sony unveiled its device announcement for this year’s IFA.
The Sony Xperia 5 is a return to a more compact type of device from Sony which will be welcomed by many. The 6.1-inch device maintains the 21:9 aspect ratio making it very easy to hold in the hand and still feeling extremely premium. There’s a 2,560 x 1,080 (FHD+) resolution OLED display which is HDR capable and with this comes Dolby Atmos for more immersion. There’s also the inclusion of compatibility with Sony’s DualShock 4 controller for a better gaming experience.
The Xperia 5 houses a triple-lens rear camera design which delivers a main 12MP sensor with an f/1.6 aperture 12mm lens. There’s also a 52mm f/2.4 telescopic lens and a 16mm f/2.4 wide-angle lens.
The Xperia 5 will launch with the Snapdragon 855 chip and a 6GB/128GB RAM and storage combination.
- 6.1-inch (1080 x 2520pixels) FHD+ OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB RAM, 128GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 512GB via microSD card
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Single / Dual SIM
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/2.6″ sensor, f/1.6 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 1.4μm pixel size, Predictive capture, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 1.0μm 135° ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 1.0μm 45° telephoto lens, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 2x optical zoom, 960 fps Super slow motion
- 8MP front-facing camera with 1/ 4″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, 84° wide-angle lens
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speaker, DSEE HX, LDAC, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 158 x 68 x 8.2mm; Weight: 164g
- Water Resistant (IP65/IP68)
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 3140mAh Battery with Xperia Adaptive Charging technology, USB Power Delivery (USB PD) fast charging
The Sony Xperia 5 comes in Black, Blue, Grey and Red colours, is priced at £699 and will be available in multiple regions in October with pre-orders for the UK starting 18th September.